Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Nigeria have been eliminated from the 2019 Women’s World Cup, following a 3-0 defeat to Germany on Saturday. This was enough to seal a place for the Germans in the quarter-finals and to send Nigeria home.
2. The Super Eagles Saturday defeated the Swallows of Burundi in their first 2019 AFCON match. The only goal which came in the second half after much resistance by the Swallows was scored by Odion Igalo who came in as a substitute in the second half.
3. An Air Peace flight P47291 from Abuja on Saturday skidded off the runway at the Port Harcourt Airport, Omagwa, while landing due to heavy downpour. However, there was no casualty in the incident which occurred at 3.42 p.m. Mrs Henrietta Yakubu, General Manager, Corporate Affairs, Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), confirmed the incident, saying the Boeing 737-500 aircraft skidded off the runway, but the pilot was able to stop the aircraft.
4. Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo will be visiting the United States where he will be meeting with his US counterpart, Mr. Mike Pence, and other key groups and interests in the country. Laolu Akande, the Senior Special Assistant to the President (Media Publicity) Office of the Vice President, made this know on Saturday.
5. The Lagos State Police Command has arrested a 72-year-old Prophet, Jacob Adegboyega Farinmade, of Celestial Church of Christ in Ipaja area, for allegedly killing a female undergraduate he impregnated. The deceased, Bunmi allegedly died during childbirth, while the clergyman secretly buried her.
6. The Kaduna State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal on Saturday adjourned hearing in the main petition of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to Wednesday, June 26. The Tribunal adjourned after admitting 59 witnesses of the PDP and Alhaji Isah Ashairu, its candidate in the March 9 Governorship election.
7. The Presidency has announced plans by the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN to offer loans to National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) members. Bashir Ahmad, media aide to President Muhammadu Buhari disclosed this on his official Twitter page. Ahmaad said Governor of CBN, Godwin Emefiele is presently making arrangement to start giving loans to corps members for business empowerment.
8. A Bauchi State High Court has restrained the factional Speaker, Bauchi State House of Assembly, Kawuwa Shehu Damina and his Deputy, Tukur Ibrahim against parading themselves as Speaker and Deputy Speaker respectively. Delivering the judgement, Justice A.M. Karin Madaki on Friday granted an order of interim conjunction following an application filed by Abubakar Suleiman and 12 other lawmakers.
9. A woman simply identified as Carol and her daughter, Favour have been reported dead with three others seriously injured as fire on Saturday razed down building in Eku community, Ethiope-East Local Government Area of Delta State. Property including a commercial shop in the building and a caravan within the area were also engulfed by the inferno.
10. Dozens were feared dead when a gas pipeline exploded at Kom Kom in Oyigbo Local Government Area of Rivers State on Saturday. Authorities said majority of the victims were burnt beyond recognition in the fire that occurred early Saturday.